Lukluk Raun

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

STRONGPLA KEREMA BLO WEWAK

 


MAMA JAY

 

picture - Mama Janet in front of United Church.

 


By Omsy Bobo in Wewak 

 

MAMA JANET SIVIRI is 67 but age has not wearied the Christian grandma.

She is still an active member in the United Church in East Sepik Province, far from her homeland of Kerema, Gulf province.

In many parts of PNG people decide to live a life they want.

Some people  choose to make their home in other provinces, because of problems they create and they never want to return, tribal fights, and maybe for security reasons or maybe to forget old painful memories.

In the case of my wantok, well known in Wewak Town as Mama Janet, she lost the heart for the land long forgotten, beautiful country..YU YET KAM NA LUKIM....Kerema.

She hears the tuneful calling of the Kerema love songs but her heart is now somewhere else.

In February I arrived in Wewak on my new teaching post at Bishop Leo secondary school, I was welcomed by a friend and a visitor.

He appeared to be a strange looking man, I suspected he was from the Sepik river, but he spoke softly to me in a friendly manner.

He asked me gently, young man where a you from? and how are you? I, a teacher of a hundred students was very afraid to reply to his questions.

That afternoon I was returning from the stores at Kaltex shopping centre, he spoke fluent English.

He greeted me with a smile, and offered to shake hands with me.

Immediately my fear was gone. Instantly I grabbed his outstretched hands and felt the warmth of his friendship.

He said: "Are you a visitor here in Wewak?"

I was back to my confused state after I heard his voice, because it sounded very sago grubby and poi-like. Then he offered his name, he was John Mariosu, an elder of the United Church at Kaltex compound.

We chatted for a few minutes and he left, for his home near Kaindi Teachers College. 

That evening I asked my driver to describe, where I could locate the Urban United Church in Wewak, he was very kind that he did without delay.

On the first Sunday of March, 2017, the next day, I dropped off from the bus and headed to the United church, where I was introduced to the elders of the church.

During the service the preacher highlighted to the congregation, many important, things relating to life, I sat quietly and listen carefully, he stressed on to say that  "life is full of wonders and boredom only if you put Christ first you will achieve the dreams and hopes, which will become reality in life.

As I sat in the church the preacher announced for the songs, there I could obviously hear, the old widow Mama Janet, who sang loudly, the chorus on top of her voice, the song that  deeply touched me, and I wondered, where the youths have gone to as there was none to pick up the tune.

With her greying silvers, and in her white meri blouse and a flowery lei of frangipani, she looked saintly.

Alongside her sharp echoed voice came a much heavier voice, this time it was a heavier voice to back up, Mama Janet's vocals.

The songs were well sung that Sunday morning, as I returned home, talking about the "Golden Oldiess" they are still the best. 

Mama Janet Siviri is originally from Kukipi village, Malalaua sub-district in the Gulf Province.

She arrived in East Sepik (PS Kantri) as a young woman in 1978, when she accompanied her late husband.

She said her hubby was a businessman and because he was in a business deal with people here in Sepik, he was introduced to the business community here in East Sepik.

Mama Janet says she has five beautiful children and they are all working.

The eldest boy is in Kavieng working. 

Mama Janet wants to stay in Sepik and has become part of East Sepik Province.

When asked what she does in her free times, she meditates, since then she has never forgotten church, she warns young people to turn to God, because, that's where life begins.

 

The writer OMERA AVAE, a teacher in Wewak, met Mama Jay in 2017. This story was originally published in 2019 in the Post-Courier.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks my Ski poi. I know mama Janet very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks captain my saki boy. have a blessed and safe festive season

      Delete