Lukluk Raun

Thursday, March 21, 2024

A DOG'S LIFE . . . .

 


TEARS FOR HIS BEST FRIEND



Cedricks dad carries his late dog away for burial.



By GREGORY WESLEY

 

WOOF, woof.

If you love animals, bring your tissue box or hanky because this puppy tale will have you in tears.

This is the story of Sedrick, a University of PNG student, and his faithful puppy Brownie.

Sedrick Haboi is from Busamang, a big sprawling village below Sugarloaf Mountain in Salamaua, Morobe Province.

Sedrick and Brownie enjoyed a special bond of friendship for 11 years until one week ago, when as fate had it, Brownie passed away Sedrick was heartbroken.

How the friendship started

Their friendship started when Brownie was just a puppy when she was gifted to Sedrick when he was just 14 years old and in Grade Seven.

His heart missed a beat when he first set eyes on Brownie. She was so cute and had a fluffy look. But she was also small and he thought she would die at some point.

He made up his mind there and then that come rain, hail, or shine, Brownie would make it through the night.

His priority every day was to find a meal to feed her. This spawned their trust and loyalty.

“To keep the little puppy alive, every morning and evening, I have to find fish to feed her with coconut. Her survival became my priority, that is where we built the bond of friendship,” he said tearfully.

You’ve all watched the heart-rendering tale of the loyal Hachiko, who waited faithfully at the Ueno Train Station for his master, who never returned.

In our case, it was Brownie, who always faithfully waited on the beach of Busama for his master to return from school every day.

From there he started building that trust and bond with the dog, the puppy was so small but could sense and wag its tail in excitement with its watery eyes every time Sedrick came back from school.

The Bond

This is the place where both would sit down and watch the sunset before walking home for dinner.

Growing up Sedric didn’t have any brothers, he was the only boy among three sisters, playing games with his sisters was hard as they always helped their mum with house chores or doing girl’s stuff.

Dad was his only friend, but most times he was busy with his work, so he didn’t have much time and that left Sedrick with no one to play with.

All these changed when Brownie was introduced into the family, Sedrick finally had someone who could be with him every day no matter what.

“When Brownie was introduced into the family, I felt like I had a friend to play with or talk with when I'm alone and she became my everyday friend,” he said.

Brownie was his therapist every time he went through something stressful in his young life.

“When I am sad and sit alone along the beach, she would walk up to me and sit beside me.

“I would share with her what I am going through and how I feel, her response was a usual low crying voice, I would reply don’t worry I will be okay,” he shared.

He would ask his best friend how her day was and always reply back saying, “I know you had the best day because you always look happy.”

Together they would watch the waves crashing on Pineapple Beach as the sun slowly sinks on the horizon and slowly stroll home for dinner.

A typical day with Brownie

Brownie would always wait or play around in the bushes waiting for Sedric to finish his daily chores.

There was never a dull when they were together. When there’s no one around they always seize the opportunity to play on the beach.

“When I have no one to talk to or play with, she will run to me to play with me just to make me happy, most of the time I will talk to her.”

The best thing he loves about his dog is she always sticks with him wherever he goes, even to the dense forest and mountains until he gets back home.

His mom would sit and wait outside the veranda for him to return from the jungle, and when Brownie would always be the first one to run to the house.

Every time she sees Brownie running out of the bushes, she is relieved because she knows her son is safely home.


Sedrick on one of his trips back to school after the holidays.


Going to School

Sederick was accepted to do grade 11 at Wawin National High school in 2017 so he had to leave his parents and Brownie behind, he didn’t mind that much because he knew he would always return on the term breaks.
“It wasn’t a longer period cause every term break I would return home to spend my holiday with my parents back at Busamang.
“During my arrival, everyone would come and greet me, then I would ask my mom where Brownie is while talking with my family, she would come out from nowhere and jump onto me.
 “I would hug her and she would bark for a while, then the nearby houses would say Sedrick kam pinis olsem no dog blem singaut stap’ (Sedrick is back that’s why his dog is barking).”
In 2019 Sedrick was accepted at UPNG, this time the distance was greater.
He had to leave on a plane to another province, so he was a bit moved. He was wondering whether his best friend would still remember him when he got back.

Last time with his Best Friend


This was the last boat ride leaving the village for Port Moresby for his graduation. This was also the time when he said his last goodbye to Brownie.

In 2022 he had to leave the village to go prepare for his graduation, it seemed just the usual goodbye he does when going off to school, but he didn’t know that would be his last moments with Brownie.

“It was 2022 when I left home for my graduation in April, after getting on the boat, I looked back to say goodbye to my parents, I saw her standing beside my mom, and then I shouted back.

“Brownie lukautim mama gut (Brownie look after our mother) not knowing that it will be the last time I am going to see her face, then I saw her standing at the beach for a while and walked slowly back home.”


Sedrick making sago.


Getting the News of her passing

When I heard the news, all our memories flooded my head, it broke my heart and I know I am going to miss her, I enjoyed the last 11 years with her, and I know this time will be different going back home.

“I know that when going back home, my staying there will not be like the other 11 years, I would miss how she greets me when I get home, her name would fade away when time goes by,” Sedrick said.

His advice to Pet Lovers

“Pets are the friend who you cannot talk to you but will act as if they know what you are saying. If you love your pet, you have to take good care of them.

“For animals like dogs, they forgive faster than humans can do, they love without hate, loyalty is their main character.

 “They will take care of you without complaints. I regret hitting my dog when I was angry, it breaks my heart to lose Brownie.”

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment