Lukluk Raun

Thursday, December 16, 2021

IF I CAN, YOU CAN TOO

 


Peter, in gown, with family during his graduation from University of Goroka in April

<script async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js?client=ca-pub-9782371070220209"

     crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

Disability is NO BARRIER

 

PETER Rumints was born with disability - his lower arms were deformed but that disability has never deterred him.

In fact his disability has inspired him to aim high and achieve the best for himself and his family.

Back in 2019,  he said: “It has been a long journey…. I am Peter Rumints, aged 38 and am from Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea.

"I am a person with disability, having both arms deformed since birth and married to my lovely wife Betty from Chimbu Province. I have four beautiful daughters.”

Peter is now teaching at Tabaga Provincial High School and is also the chairman of Western Highlands Province Disabled Persons Organisation.

He graduated with a Post-Graduate Diploma in Education Teaching on April 26, 2019 from the University of Goroka in neighbouring Eastern Highlands.

If you are an able bodied person but feel sorry for yourself, think again when you read Peter’s story as he recounts his achievements not his struggles and challenges.

“At this stage, I wondered, how I have come this far. I am amazed at this point in time with the achievement in life through education.

"Human beings can look at my disabilities and say “unable to all things” but I am pretty sure, my God sees everyone equal.

“Among the millions, I was one of them. After all nothing is secret. It’s the heart and determination and how we persevere through it. I thank God that he has blessed me when I searched it.

“I would like to take this time to thank the good Lord above for his faithfulness upon my life because it is through God's grace I went to various levels of studies and gained different qualifications,” Peter said.


Peter can use a laptop computer.


Peter’s education life started in 1987 at the Mount Hagen Callan Services.

Despite his disabilities, he was able to do things better and as a result; the staff of Mount Hagen Disabled enrolled him at Holy Trinity Demonstration School in 1988 in grade three.

After four years at Holy Trinity Demonstration School, he passed the necessary examinations in grade six and was a top student in the province.

He was selected to do grade seven at Mount Hagen Secondary School in 1992 and after four years at he again passed the necessary examinations and scored three Credits in Mathematics, Science and Social Science and an Upper Pass in English in 1995.

“I was expected to go to a National High School but I wasn't. Those others who have scored the same grades were selected but I was left out.

“However, I was given an offer at Goroka Technical College to study Business in 1996.

“I successfully completed the prescribed courses and received credit in all subjects. After completing my study, I went straight into workforce and worked with various companies,” Peter said.

After several years working, Peter went back to school, this time to study at Christian Leader's Training College; doing Diploma of Theology from 2011-2012. He completed the required course and graduated.

In 2013, he was lecturing at the Baptist Theological College of Papua New Guinea and from 2014-2015, Peter did his Bachelors program at Christian Leader's Training College, passed and graduated with a Bachelor of Theology.

“After graduation at Christian Leader's Training College, I started my duties at the National Baptist Theological College as a lecturer as well as taking the role of chaplaincy.


Peter, second left, with fellow graduands during their graduation in April from the University of Goroka.


“While lecturing at the National Baptist Theological College, I undertook Bachelors Degree in School Management at the University of Goroka Highlands Regional Open Campus,” he said.

While doing the Bachelors Degree in School Management program, Peter was given the opportunity to do Post-Graduate Diploma in Education from 2017-2018 vacation periods and enrolled at the University of Goroka main campus.

He studied for an intense period of time among other students and passed all the courses and graduated with a Post-Graduate Diploma in Education Teaching in April of that year.

“I would like to thank my good wife Betty and my four daughters for their patience during the times of struggles to allow me to finally achieve my family's dream.

“I also would like to thank the following people and agencies for their support in my life; Archbishop Douglas Young - Catholic Church; Baptist Union of PNG; WHP PEB; Callan Services staff of Mount Hagen (Malcolm Kewa, Daniel Pamda and other staff); Callan Services staff of Goroka (Don Waipe, Justin Wagame and James Knox); and family members and other friends for your contributions and support,” he said.

Now if Peter can do it, you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment